Happy Craft Day!
Today you get a two-for-one craft project!
The first part is how to make a box from a record sleeve! The second part tells you how to use the record from the sleeve to make a groovy bowl!
Taken from an awesome book called Pad: The Guide to Ultra Living, this project on making a desktop LP box is really fun to make for yourself or as a gift! It’s perfect for a desk, vanity, bookshelf, what-have-you!
– 1 normal sized LP Jacket (can be found at pretty much any thrift store)
– 2″ Wide clear packing tape
NOW that you’ve used the record sleeve, time to use the record! Follow these steps and make yourself an awesome bowl that’s perfect for treats, jewelry or knick-knacks!
1. Heat the oven up to about 200 – 250 degrees Fahrenheit. (make sure that the rack is low with space over-head to fit in a large bowl)
2. Take your bowl and put it upside down on a cookie sheet, and place the center of the record over the center circle on the bottom of the bowl. Put this in the oven.
3. Keep an eye on this until the record gets pretty floppy – this should take roughly 4-8 minutes.
4. Carefully with your oven mitts on, remove everything from the oven.
5. Immediately mold your bowl: you can do this by hand molding it in a funky wavy way, OR by putting the record in another bowl and molding around that. If it looks the way you want, right out of the oven, you’re good to go! Rest it upside down.
6. Let it cool off for about 10-15 minutes, flip over, and fill to your hearts content! Enjoy!