My best friend Ellie is phenomenal at homemade gifts.
She always thinks of something super cool and unique that’s special just for us. She makes amazing wall art and projects relating to inside jokes, and just comes up with awesome stuff.
For Christmas this year, I decided to attempt to make Ellie something along those lines.
Sparked by this idea from A Beautiful Mess, I decided to make a piece of wall art that was the lyrics to “our” song (God Only Knows by the Beach Boys) made through photos of she and I. The result was the project below!
– Copies of photos (I opted for black and white)
– Canvas (whatever size you want)
– Tacky Glue
– Mod Podge
– Paint Brushes (2)
– Removable Vinyl Letters
How To Make It:
1. Photocopy your pictures enough to cover your canvas. Think about how your letters will be laid out and how big or small you want the faces to be within the letters. Blow some up or shrink some down, whatever you think will look the best.
2. Cut out your pictures and arrange them on the canvas how you want them laid out, then using your tacky glue, glue them securely to the canvas and let dry.
3. Using one of your paintbrushes, paint Mod Podge across the entire canvas, coating it evenly across the whole thing. Let dry until it’s bone dry – I let mine sit overnight.
4. Once it’s dry, arrange your vinyl letters over the canvas to say your lyric or quote. Make sure they’re pressed down pretty hard around the edges.
5. Paint over the whole canvas, over the letters (make sure to not press too hard over the letters so paint doesn’t bleed under the edges). Sit to dry.
6. Once the paint has dried, peel off the vinyl letters.